Monday 27 May 2013

A Relationship Beyond Love :Part(1)

   "Huh! I'm totally pissed off, get me outta here ", that's what he said initializing a conversation with me. It was after months that we had met again. He was a lot changed. His hairs had grown up by half a inch, and he did not have the slightest plans to have them cut. His fingernails had grown more untidily with ridges,dents and areas with unusual color and shape. There was a lot more in him that was yet to be noticed, not forgetting those scruffy red fingers, wholly dipped in white Caribbean pepper sauce and neatly imprinted on a white Levi T shirt that he wore. It made me think of the rag pickers that I had seen in the street while climbing up the stairs of his house.


   I finally said breaking the awkward silence between us, " Look, Ryan, That's not the end of the world and she was not the last girl on the Earth." I did not mean to give a word of sympathy, but then it is better to sympathize before offering your advice. " You'd better go out and date some other girls. There are many pretty ones waiting for you out there. Make friends. Enjoy life."It was really hard to speak that date part. I was not sure how would he react after hearing this. Actually, people get really annoyed when you give them the same advice again and again, and same was the case with Ryan. She was the fifth girl in the row that had broken his heart. It is really pitiful to see a cute guy crying for slutty girls, when there are hundreds of pretty girls dying to date him. One such girl was me. I never tried to know if he feels the same for me too, because a long friendship broken hurts more than a rejection. When was the first time, I had developed feelings for him, I don't know and neither do I care.But the thing I had known since long is that if he'd be interested, he would have conveyed his feelings to me.Literally.

"Aisha, it's okay. No big deal. It's not the first time." He said, sounding more irritated.I awaited for something more intense.

 I helped myself with a glass of water and turned around to see that he had left. Without a word of good bye or thanks.I was left alone with my thoughts. How casual it appears to some people to break a heart. However to think it the other way, why a heartbroken man should tend  to care about someone else's when nobody did for him. So, I convinced myself to leave him on his own.

For the week that followed, we did not talk.

It was March 5, 2010. A day that would always be a part of my sweet memories.It was today only that our friendship got more intense.The love and affection that we shared took the acceptance of a relationship. It was around 10 at night, a perfect birthday eve.

 The clouds roared in a dull grey sky, shiny wet leaves drenched with water tapped on the roof,  the wind staggered and felt unusually heavy, the faint sound of the cascade could be nicely heard. Love's in the air, but with a sense of insecurity of losing someone I  love so much. Just a mere confession could not stop me from loving him.

I hugged him tightly as if all my emotions had just burst out in that tinniest of second. He stepped aside and looked at me like never before. I remembered I had looked down to see what I had worn. Clad in a red sari, the only one of its kind that I had, I wore the emerald necklace he had given to me some twelve birthdays ago. I really wished he would notice it. 

"You look gorgeous,sweetheart". He fidgeted, stammering and stressing on the last word.

It was really divine of him to say that I look gorgeous, but from where in the world this 'sweetheart' emerged. I would have definitely noticed this sweetheart thing even if he had not stressed on it.

I had practiced this moment over a hundred times.. According to the script, I should have said "Happy Birthday'. And after a perfect one second pause, I would hug him again, and would hand him the Titan Octane watch he had been so desperate so buy. It had cost me a full 4000 bucks. I was well aware that I have the rest of the moth before me and I had to cut out many of my expenses to be able to buy it for him. I've spent my entire life fighting against allowing money to factor into who I date, but at that time, I had not cared.

"Swee..??",the words forced themselves out of my mouth.


"Ssshhh....", he held my hands and kissed them. I could not believe what had just happened. I didn't have questions into my mind then,like what had just happened or why did he do so. I had just some confessions to make.


To be cont....

No comments:

Post a Comment